ABC of Sports Wheelchair Movement Course
Do you want to want to make your sports session more inclusive?
Delivered both through practical and theory the course will enable participants to:
- Understand the underpinning fundamentals of movement in a sports wheelchair to enable you to support your group and make PE lessons/sports sessions more inclusive. The fundamental skills are very basic however they form the basis of all movement in a sports chair and people with these skills embedded will be able to learn new skills quicker.
- Learn about some basic maintenance that can be carried out on sports wheelchairs. Maintenance is essential to ensure the wheelchair performs the way it should and should become part of a regular programme.
- Learn activities that can be used to develop skills within lessons/sessions and increase their confidence when working with wheelchair users.
The course is focussed on supporting people with a physical impairment. However it can also support non-disabled people by improving their wheelchair skills in integrated sessions.
Who is the course suitable for?
The training is for those who:
- Support wheelchair users of all ages within education, and have an opportunity to put the training into practice.
- For example; any member of school staff at any phase including teachers, teaching assistants, support staff and young leaders.
Length of course
- 3 hours
Basic requirements to run a course:
- Named course organiser
- Sports hall and classroom space for theory and practical aspects
- Access to sport wheelchairs which are in good condition
- Minimum of 12 and maximum of 20 participants (this is an ideal number but we can cater for different numbers if needed)
If you would like further details or to book a course please contact the WheelPower Sports team by clicking here.