ABC of Sports Wheelchair Movement Course
Do you want to want to make your sports session more inclusive?
Delivered both through practical and theory the course will enable participants to:
- Understand the underpinning fundamentals of movement in a sports wheelchair to enable you to support your group and make PE lessons/sports sessions more inclusive. The fundamental skills are very basic however they form the basis of all movement in a sports chair and people with these skills embedded will be able to learn new skills quicker.
- Learn about some basic maintenance that can be carried out on sports wheelchairs. Maintenance is essential to ensure the wheelchair performs the way it should and should become part of a regular programme.
- Learn activities that can be used to develop skills within lessons/sessions and increase their confidence when working with wheelchair users.
The course is focussed on supporting people with a physical impairment. However it can also support non-disabled people by improving their wheelchair skills in integrated sessions.
Who is the course suitable for?
The training is for those who:
- Support wheelchair users of all ages within education, and have an opportunity to put the training into practice.
- For example; any member of school staff at any phase including teachers, teaching assistants, support staff and young leaders.
Length of course
- 2.5 hours
Basic requirements to run a course:
- Named course organiser
- Sports hall and classroom space for theory and practical aspects
- Access to sport wheelchairs which are in good condition
- Minimum of 12 and maximum of 20 participants
If you would like further details or to book a course please contact the WheelPower Sports team.